Monday, May 28, 2012

Moments of a lifetime!

From the first time that Chris and Lisa Moore came to our church and spoke about bringing a group back to Africa I wanted to go.  Now that I'm actually here it's more than I ever could have imagined.  When the plane landed I had to ask myself am I really in Africa?  Still every morning I have to say I'm here.  I'm actually in Africa! It's a dream come true.
     In the five days that I've been here I've already fell in love with the place and especially the children.  They are sooooo precious, and I just adore them.  Our first time at the school the kids greeted us in song.  It was so sweet.  I teared up, and everyday since I fall more in love with those children.  Today Jory and I got to share arts and craft time with the students.  I think it was the first time they ever played with play-dough and painted.  I enjoyed seeing their faces light up with joy during that time.  Also, we taught them some children's songs, and we learned some of their's.  When I go back to America I'm really going to miss these beautiful children.  
     Although I thoroughly enjoy spending time in the academy with the kids nothing compares to our evangelism trip in the villages.  Walking down the paths I just got sick seeing how extreme the conditions are there and to think how we Americans live in such a greedy self centered way.  The poorest in America can never compare to the poor here.  It's devastating, but even through the circumstances God still shows up and shines.  Most of the people speak Swahili, and we have to communicate through a translator.  It's kind of hard to follow the conversation, but it's still awesome witnessing people give their life to Christ no matter what language they speak.  When our translator, Rama, spoke you could feel the power and intensity of the moment although I couldn't actually understand.  It was legit!  At one stop there were no adults but three teen aged boys.  All three spoke English, so Chris told Noah and I to take it away.  We led these young men to Christ that day.  It was like nothing else I've ever done.  
     My journey in Africa is still just beginning.  I've already experienced things I never could have dreamed.  Moments of a lifetime.  I can't wait to see what else is in store for me in following days.  I love and miss everyone back home, but being here has opened my eyes.  I couldn't wish for anything more.
Emily Vige



No comments:

Post a Comment