Friday, April 25, 2014

Kenya Medical Day

There were issues with the internet while we were in Kenya.  We have a few more post to wrap up the things we experienced and felt from God while we were there.




Today was an experience of a lifetime.  I work in a hospital in Texas.  The hallways are constantly buzzing with administration and disease control personnel working hard to make sure we are kept up on the latest and greatest technology and techniques.  Cleanliness is a must – we have signs on the walls telling patients that they are allowed to ask us to wash our hands and use gloves before seeing them.  We have tons of gloves, masks and gowns to protect us from each and every little thing and to prevent it from spreading to the next patient.  Well today I saw the opposite end of the world.  The opposite of everything that I know and have always been taught.  Today I saw a hospital in Kenya that many people from the villages would consider a “higher end” kind of place.  You walk in and see the receptionist and the medical records piled in old envelopes behind them.  The pharmacy is in a room that is not closed or locked directly past the receptionist area with a guy working behind it who I think had on the job training.  The hospital rooms were individual rooms with 2 old beds in them and a table in between.  The hallway was one single hallway that was open to air –  there was no roof! They were kind enough to show us the surgical suite too – they had us take off our tennis shoes and walk from the outside in our socks all around their “sterile surgical suite”.  Sterile surgical instruments are cleaned in an autoclave and wrapped in clean cloth and taped – and then set on benches in the hallway (the open to air hallway!). Nothing about this place made sense to me.  There is a hospital in Nairobi that I am told is more similar to an American hospital – but Nairobi is an 8 hour drive from where we are.  This place is the best of the best for the people in the village. 

Today I also got to do some backpack medicine in a village near Chris and Lisa.  I was nervous and praying before going into the village.  I have always been told that Kenyan people are so kind and welcoming but we were walking into a village with people who we had never met before at all.  I was expecting to go some place that at least Chris and Lisa were familiar with but this place was so completely new.  We walked into this village of huts that were falling over and people started yelling “Jambo! Welcome! Please come sit down!!”  I know when I am at home and someone comes to my door, I don’t even answer sometimes if I don’t know them!! These people ran up to us as fast as they could to welcome us into their homes.  Almost everyone in this village were sick – really sick.  Many were incredibly malnourished and we had to give worm medicine to all of the children except one.  One child had a 103.2 temperature and looked like he felt terrible.  The mother had taken him to the doctor and he had prescription antibiotics and some other fever reducer medication that wasn’t even labelled.  We saw this child first and I gave him some childrens ibuprofen and within 30 minutes his fever was down to 101 and he was already feeling better – he had supposedly been taking this medication for 3 days and still had a very high fever. 

Can you imagine not having over the counter medications for your family? Can you imagine getting sick and not being able to get medical treatment? Can you imagine going to a hospital with an open to air hallway and walking in the dirt and dust to get to the bathroom.  Did I mention there was a random clothes line running the length of the hallway in this hospital? Can you even imagine? We met 2 patients in the hospital and asked to pray with them.  Most people in America would have looked at us like we were crazy! These people were really kind and allowed us to pray with them and would clap and thank us for coming to see them afterwards.  These people were so grateful and had no idea what they are missing.  We gave the hospital donated multivitamins and there were no questions asked.  Things are just so different.  When I go home I hope I never take the things we have access to for granted.  The world is so much bigger than I ever knew.





No comments:

Post a Comment