Wednesday, July 13, 2011

God is Moving Here!



God is moving!
I think to start off this blog I just have to say wow! Kenya is beyond what I imagined and the most beautiful country I have ever seen. I am so in awe of God's power, and I truly feel His love for this place. I feel so honored that He would choose me to come here to do His work. It's so obvious that His hand is in this ministry. There is so much to say, yet no words to truly communicate what I have experienced here. Monday was our first day in school with the kids. When I saw each of those precious children walk into school, my heart just went out to each one of them. I just wanted to pour love on them. I was in awe of their morning routine. They were so well behaved, and they were just so joyful! They LOVE coming to school every day, even though some of them have quite a hike to even get there every morning. I started out in the baby class with the three and four year olds, but then Lisa asked me to help out in the medical clinic, so I switched to that. I learned how to treat the ringworms and other fungal rashes, so I would be able to do it the next couple of days. I loved being able to gain that experience while loving on the children that I treated. When we were finished in the medical clinic, I was switched into the KG3 class which is kindergarten. There I helped teach the kids English, and we also taught about the Ten Commandments and did a craft. The kids were so excited to have us there, and I couldn't have been more excited to be there with them. Their childlike passion is an amazing thing to be a part of. After school ended, we had the most incredible opportunity to split up into three groups and walk a child home. What an experience! This was the first time I was really able to get out and see the country. It is so beautiful that it's indescribable. Pictures and even videos can't capture it. God really revealed His awesome creation to me on the trails. My group walked home a child named Evans. The walk was 45 minutes long through very rough terrain, narrow paths, and steep hills. Many kids walk it barefoot and start walking it by themselves or with siblings at the age of three. It just blows my mind! When we got to the mud hut I was just in awe. It was so small that we couldn't even all five fit in it at the same time. We had to take turns going in. Chickens were roaming around in the house. The two kids that live there, including Evans, live with their grandmother. They all sleep in one room and the other room was for drying out corn. It was basically a huge fire pit. After viewing their home and asking them many questions, we had an opportunity to share the gospel with the grandmother! It had never been directly presented to her before. It was by far the best part of my day. I was blessed with the opportunity to share my testimony with her. So I shared my story, and then Cayla shared the gospel with her. She told us that she had things to take care of before she accepted Christ, but we planted a seed, and I know God will grow that seed. We have spent four days at Mbewau Academy and already I have been impacted. God is MOVING there, and it is so awesome to be there to see it and be a part of it! We are back at the host homes to stay the night here and have a big day ahead of us tomorrow. I can't wait to see what God has in store!
In Christ,
Jaylyn Gramer

No comments:

Post a Comment